- What is “It” in the title “It came from beyond zen?
- Tell us a bit about the philosophy of Zen Buddhism.
- How did you find out about Shobogenzo?
- Who is Eihei Dogen?
- What is one most powerful truth about human nature that you’ve written about?
Brad Warner is the author of It Came from Beyond Zen, Hardcore Zen, and Sit Down and Shut Up, and several others. He was ordained a Zen Buddhist priest by Gudo Nishijima. He grew up in the suburbs of Akron, Ohio and the outskirts of Nairobi, Kenya.
He has practiced Zen for over 30 years. He plays bass in the hardcore punk band Zero Defex. For 11 years, he worked in Japan for the company founded by creator of Godzilla. He’s appeared in the film Zombie Bounty Hunter M.D. and the documentary about him, Brad Warner’s Hardcore Zen.
Inspirational Quote – “Just do it”
Alternative Practice – Zen Buddhism.
Action Step – It takes five minutes to learn how to do at least the type of meditation that I practice. Just take that step and do the practice. You don’t have to make a major commitment or a lifestyle change. Just meditate even it’s only for five minutes.
- Best Advice – Just practice zazen everyday.
- Personal Habit – Zazen; I do it everyday and it really has improved my life in ways that are hard to express.
- Book Recommendation – Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind by Shunryū Suzuki
Learn more about Brad at www.HardcoreZen.info
Like this episode?
Please leave an honest rating on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
P.S: Just takes a minute! 🙂