- What is Iyengar Yoga?
- What is the importance of Yoga philosophy?
- How does a person go about beginning a home Yoga practice?
These were just some of the questions that I asked Margi Young in this really inspiring episode that is ready for you!
Let’s learn a bit about today’s guest….
After spending seven years in the Bay Area dancing and teaching dance, Margi began to practice yoga. The union of movement with spirituality piqued her curiosity. From the Bay area, Margi moved to New York City to attend New York University’s TISCH, earning her MFA in Dance and Choreography.
For a respite from the fierce dance world, she practiced yoga in the smoky incense of Jivamukti, offering her a quiet within the bustle.
Over time it became clear that she was much happier on her thin blue yoga mat than in the mirrored dance studio.
She soon discovered Cyndi Lee’s OM Yoga Center, where Iyengar alignment meshed with vinyasa flow and Buddhist principles, and attended a teacher training in 2001.
Inspirational quote – Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom – Viktor E. Frankl
Alternative Practice – Iyengar Yoga.
Action Step –
See something that you don’t usually see or acknowledge a human being who you might normally just pass by.
- Maybe you say hello to a bus driver.
- Instead if tightening or freezing when you pass by a homeless person, you look into their eyes and maybe say hello.
Just keep opening awareness and noticing things that you might not normally become aware of.
Major Life Lesson – Keep on, keeping on. Practice can be defined in many ways. Keep doing those things that give you more happiness, ease, openness and contentment.
Life Purpose – It is doing my practice and sharing it with others.
- Best Advice – To be and stay present.
- Personal Habit – When I can, I take 20 minutes to lie down in a restorative pose. I take some deep breaths and let my nervous system just unravel. Its very rejuvenating.
- Book Recommendation – The Wisdom of No Escape and the Path of Loving-Kindness by Pema Chodron
Learn more about Margi Young at http://www.margiyoung.com/
For a FREE month of Yoga, visit http://www.yogaanytime.com/ and use Promo code Young
Like this episode?
Please leave an honest rating on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
P.S: Just takes a minute! 🙂